Kelly Limerick is the pseudonym of Singaporean-born artist Kelly Lim (born 1991).
Having first picked up crochet in 1997 when she was 7 years old, Kelly then taught herself knitting, and has since been using both skills for her distinct artworks.
Kelly often creates without a sketch or set patterns to produce unique, one-off designs. Her work includes elements of 'kimo-kawaii' (きもかわいい)- a Japanese term meaning grotesque-cute- and focuses on textures and details.
Recently, she has been exploring large-scale installations, which inject unexpected visual impact in urban spaces and aim to provide immersive experiences by engaging the site.
Much like a living creature, her art 'grows' with new inspirations every single day.
kllylmrck's essence runs the strongest through her Atelier line of commissioned art pieces, where each piece has an inimitable personality of its own.
HA/DE, which means 'flashy' in Japanese, is an accessory line incorporating items like toys into crocheted textures, marrying tacky and cute to form a unique aesthetic.
Under the label DoreDore Dreads, Kelly creates dreadfall sets with synthetic hair and wool. With a story in mind for each set, up to 8 colours of synthetic hair is hand-blended for its unique mix then crocheted, paired with felted wool sourced from Japan, and finished off with matching trinkets.
Aside from the kllylmrck classic 'Eyeball Tassel Earrings', all works are one-offs and will not be reproduced.
As a wearable accessory line, HA/DE can be purchased off the webshop. To order a DoreDore Dreads or Atelier piece, please proceed to the FAQ for more information.
EXHIBITIONS & EVENTS
• The Best of You, Marina Square (SGP)
• World Amigurumi Exhibition, RESOBOX Gallery (NYC)
Dec '14 - Mar '15
• HYPERFLAT Collective, Design Festa Gallery (TKY)
• Wonderbrain, Alice Lee Plaza, NUS (SGP)
Jan - Mar '16
• Tiger Trading Co., Canal Street, Chinatown (NYC)
• MUJI Living in a Garden City, ION Orchard (SGP)
• Design, Make & Craft Fair 2017, National Library (SGP)
• Singapore Designers' Showcase, Meetscal Store (TKY)
• A City of Books (#BuySingLit2018), Bras Basah Complex (SGP)
• SHINEfest, Singapore Sports Hub (SGP)
• Rebel at Heart, contented.cc
• Knitting is Cool, The Straits Times
• The Girl with Magical Hair, CATALOG Magazine
• Tricks of the Thread, The New Paper
• 16 Singaporeans... Breaking the Rules, FEMALE Magazine
• 5 Singapore Creatives... Knitting to a Whole New Level, FEMALE Magazine
• Singapore Street Style Gets Real, TODAY
• Dare to Disrupt, L'Officiel Singapore
• Humans of Fashion, FEMALE Magazine
• Crocheting is Darn Cool, 8 DAYS Magazine
• 今熱いのは断然シンガポール！, Ginza Magazine (Web)
• The Originals: Forging New Paths, The Straits Times
• 给毛小孩的藝術展, I-Weekly Magazine
• The Unusual Suspects, Channel Newsasia
• Eye Candy, City Nomads (SG)
• Follow the Groove, Pin Prestige (SG)
• 《玩物壮志》, Channel 8 News (SG)
• The Art of Crochet, Crochet Now (UK)
• Art of the City, Mabuhay (Philippine Airlines)
• The Vanguards: 40 under 40, Prestige (Singapore)
• A Different Beat, Harper’s Bazaar (Singapore)
• Local Giants, Augustman (Singapore)