Kelly Limerick is the pseudonym of Singaporean-born artist Kelly Lim.
Having first picked up crochet in 1997 when she was 7 years old, Kelly then taught herself knitting, and has since been coming up with her original designs for both crochet and knit.
With yarn as her most familiar medium, Kelly often creates without a sketch or set patterns to produce unique, one-off designs that are almost impossible to replicate. Her work often includes elements of 'kimo-kawaii' (きもかわいい)- a Japanese term meaning grotesque-cute- and focuses on textures and details. Much like a living object, her art 'grows' with new inspirations every single day.
Combining her various techniques with the abstract images in her head, Kelly hopes to breathe life into her art, giving each piece a personality of its own.
HANANA (a combination of 'BANANA' and 'HANA' (flower in Japanese) started as a project in 2013, exploring mythical Japanese monsters and reconstructing them into abstract creations.
HANANA has since branched out into 2 merchandise lines, HA/NANA and HA/DE. The former encompasses handy items in day-to-day life putting a cute twist on familiar objects, while the latter is a flashy accessory line incorporating items like toys into crocheted textures.
EXHIBITIONS & EVENTS
• The Best of You, Marina Square (SGP)
• World Amigurumi Exhibition, RESOBOX Gallery (NYC)
Dec '14 - Mar '15
• HYPERFLAT Collective, Design Festa Gallery (TKY)
• Tiger Trading Co., Canal Street, Chinatown (NYC)
• MUJI Living in a Garden City, ION Orchard (SGP)
• Design, Make & Craft Fair 2017, National Library (SGP)
• Singapore Designers' Showcase, Meetscal Store (TKY)
• Rebel at Heart, contented.cc
• Knitting is Cool, The Straits Times
• The Girl with Magical Hair, CATALOG Magazine
• Tricks of the Thread, The New Paper
• 16 Singaporeans... Breaking the Rules, FEMALE Magazine
• 5 Singapore Creatives... Knitting to a Whole New Level, FEMALE Magazine
• Singapore Street Style Gets Real, TODAY
• Dare to Disrupt, L'Officiel Singapore
• Humans of Fashion, FEMALE Magazine
• Crocheting is Darn Cool, 8 DAYS Magazine
• 今熱いのは断然シンガポール！, Ginza Magazine (Web)
• The Originals: Forging New Paths, The Straits Times
• The Unusual Suspects, Channel Newsasia